Formed in 1967, the Southern Peninsula Basketball Association (SPBA) is the largest basketball association on the Mornington Peninsula. With over 2,000 members, including over 300 teams from grass roots through to the elite level.
The SPBA maintains 4 indoor facilities inclusive of 6 courts with the intention to increase to 7 courts, catering for participants from Mornington to Sorrento.
SPBA is a NOT-FOR-PROFIT organisation, it’s primary objectives are to:
- Administer the sport of basketball from Mornington to Sorrento on the Mornington Peninsula.
- Provide an avenue for its players, coaches, officials and administrators to participate and develop through organised competitions and development programs.
SPBA has participating within our Association:
- 275 domestic teams (social competition)
- 18 junior representative teams (Victorian Junior Basketball League)
- 4 senior representative teams (Big V) – Youth League Women, Youth League Men, Division 1 Men and State Championship Women.
- 30+ regular participants during All-Abilities sessions.
We also work alongside Dromana Primary School & Sorrento Community Centre maintaining their courts and using them for our trainings and competitions.
Our facilities are not only used for our basketball, they are also used by the schools, other sports and community groups.
SPBA’s strategic plan is our “SPBA VISION 2023” document, the SPBA has as a major focus on upgrading and adding to the number of basketball courts it uses. This will provide more opportunity for participants to reach their full potential and to manage the game’s growth and demand on the Mornington Peninsula.
The SPBA Board has a forward-thinking mindset on managing increasing demand for basketball in future decades on the Mornington Peninsula. Planning for it, in the form of SPBA VISION 2023, starts now.
SPBA is a professionally administered associaton. Its governance is through a board of independent directors.
The SPBA VISION 2023 strategic plan has been developed and agreed to by the SPBA Board.